Thursday 24 October 2013

TWO Easy Thanksgiving Art Projects: See It, Do It Turkeys

Not sure if I mentioned this but this growing season I was invited to work a chunk of garden at my friend's place.  I had such a great time weeding and watering - l learned a lot about plants and how they grow.  Here is a little of the bounty I collected from the garden.  Crazy how much there still was, even in October!!  You should of seen me try to wash the kale.  Looked at youtube videos, asked around.  Finally found out from my mom that you put a little salt in the water and boom, the aphids off!!!  Ack!! LOL.


As Thanksgiving has already come and gone here in Canada, I wanted to share the two crafts my class did this year.  The Grade 2's did these cute pinecone turkeys courtesy of my partner teacher Meg:)


What to gather:

large pinecones
colourful feathers
google eyes
red felt for the waddle
orange construction paper for the feet and beak


You will need white glue bottles for the kids.  Direct them to put on lots of glue and hold pieces in place while counting to 100 - it is a little overkill but it makes me laugh - they slow down a little bit - the room gets awfully quiet - LOVE!


Last, I hot glue gunned the google eyes and any feet, feathers, etc. that would not stay put!  Gobble, gobble!  

The Grade 1's got together with the other straight Grade 1 class and made a twist on last years apple turkeys.  Check out my post from last year!  Our pear turkeys turned out SO cute!

Thanksgiving Art

You will need to gather:

unripe pears
baby marshmallows
toothpicks
large marshmallows
carrots - shaved and stored in cold water
raisins or craisins

Thanksgiving Art
This is a flying turkey I am told!

We gave the kids the pictures of the apple turkeys from last year and the materials and the kids went at it!!  I love this method of See It, Do It art!  The kids get so used to us telling them step by step what to do, even though often if they just looked they would be able to figure it out.  In this case no instruction was the best instruction!  Critical thinking!!  Oh yeah!!

Thanksgiving Art
Not sure where this guy's feathers are coming out but they do help him stand!!  lol

See It Do It Art  Thanksgiving
Hee, hee, precious!!

Thanksgiving See It Do it Art
Turkey cuteness, right there!
Thanksgiving Art for kids
Hmmm - it actually kind of works!!!
Happy Thanksgiving all!!  I am very thankful for the many blessings in my life!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.